Zaanse Schans




























































Let's say you are a tourist with only one afternoon within which to experience every Dutch cliche imaginable, where would you go? There really is only one answer: Zaanse Schans. In a space no larger than that of a decent urban park, they have managed to combine (deep breath) a bunch of windmills, a cheese factory, a wooden shoe factory, a costume museum, a supermarket museum, a pewter workshop and a souvenir shop or two. It is Dutch Disneyland (minus the overgrown rodent, which is a shame because they really do have some fine cheese). As tacky as it is, I was pretty excited to be there and even wanted to have my picture taken in front of some windmills (those who know me well, know I love taking photos as much as I hate being in photos). At the moment the photo was being taken, I saw an enormous jumbo-jet-size bee zip in front of the camera. I was certain that Shawn would see this behemoth and wait for him to pass before snapping the photo. It was not until I downloaded the photos that I realized that the bee had very much made it into the picture. I guess every major tourist attraction needs a mascot and now the bee was mine...

Comments

  1. Such a nice picture spoiled by the mascot. Couldn't resist its extraction. See an edited version at: http://flickr.com/photos/photorolandi/1512861479/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2