Utrecht


































































Of all the places I visited in the Netherlands, Utrecht stands out as a particular favorite. It is a laid-back collage town, whose skyline is dominated by the graceful Dom Tower. By joining a guided tour (and climbing 465 steps), you can reach the top of the tower for expansive views of the city and beyond (thanks to good weather, we were able to see all the way to Amsterdam). As with all the Dutch towns, the people were friendly, the food was exceptionally good and there were plenty of architectural marvels to behold so I can't really point to one single factor that made this town stand out as much as it did. Perhaps, it is something as simple as the mood I was in. Or that I liked the sunken canals, which allowed you to descend from street level to quiet water side cafes. Or the side-by-side mix of new and old architecture. Perhaps I was just dizzy from the exertion of those 465 steps. Who knows, but for the rest of my time in the Netherlands, this was the town I recommended to anyone who asked...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2