Texel



































































By August 13th, I was beginning to suffer from the initial symptoms of museum overload. The Netherlands has produced an astonishing number of great artists and I was doing my best to see all their work, a near-impossible feat. That is why the timing could not have been better when my friend, Franz invited me to join him on a day trip to the island of Texel (pronounced Tessel). Texel is a barrier island, reachable only be ferry, which is known for its wildlife, sand dunes and ample camping opportunities. Life there revolves around walking, cycling, and for the truly psychotic, swimming in the Wadden Sea. There is not an art museum in sight. Along with Franz, the indefatigable Christa and her slightly fatigued boyfriend, Tony, I spent a wonderfully revitalizing day. The four of us visited a seal rescue facility, breathed some much-needed fresh air, wandered amongst the massive dunes and ate all the junk food that came our way. By the time we had returned to Amsterdam, I was ready to put my museum card back into good use...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2