Country #66: Slovenia































































































































I know I am not even half-way through the Netherlands Chronicles, but I just returned from the awkwardly-named, yet grandly beautiful city of Ljubljana and felt the urgent need to share some photos. Of the multitude of "new Pragues" being touted about, this, to me, is the closest to the real thing. It is has got that awe-inspiring architecture combined with a vibrant, anything-can-happen energy that helped turn Prague into the Eastern European travel destination. The good news is that the mega-bus crowds and the British stag parties haven't figured it out yet. Lucky for us, because we were actually able to get three nights at the Celica Hostel, which is housed in a former military prison. Each cell has been "re-interpreted" by a different group of artists (you can see them all on the website...we had cells 113, 105 and my favorite 116) and the soldier's barracks which surround it have been turned into a series of clubs and art galleries, all gleefully covered in graffiti. It was an incredibly cool place to stay, particularly because I got to spend a week throwing out all the movie prison-lingo I've ever learned. Shawn and I were constantly bartering back and forth for smokes that neither of us actually had (or wanted, for that matter). However, no amount of bartering could get him to finish the Netherlands posts for me, so I should probably get back to that...Enjoy the photos.

Comments

  1. Great photos. I totally enjoyed them. Very crisp, and clear. Glad you enjoyed your prison stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I had just gotten my camera back from the repair shop the day I left for this trip, so I was more snap happy than usual. I highly recommend a prison stay in this particular "big house", DCJ not so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- Part 1