Oslo: The Wet Day aka Day 3

One last day in Oslo (technically just an afternoon, really, since I had a 5pm flight back to Amsterdam) but I had saved the best, or at least the most scenic, for last. On this, my final hours, I had made a reservation for a lunch cruise around the fjords. For the past two days, I had watched families cruise by, enjoying the gorgeous summer weather and the majestic panorama offered up by the fjords. Now it was my turn. So why was I waking up to the sound of rain on the windowpanes accompanied by loud claps of thunder. I convinced myself for a brief moment that it was noise coming from the air conditioner. A noise that I just had never noticed before. I even shared this fleeting fantasy with my hot roommate, the one who had just finished hiking through Pakistan and is currently working on a guide to outdoor adventures. Curiously, he did not share my delusion.

With the reservation already made and the $65 cruise included for free with my $68 Oslo Card, I decided I could brave the elements. By the way, the Oslo card, the 72 hour one that includes entry into all the museums and unlimited public transportation and is only $3 more than the cruise itself, is offered for sale at the very same kiosk as the cruise tickets. Seriously, if anyone has ever paid full price for this thing, I want to meet them so that I can stomp on their foot. Without even counting the cruise, I had already visited seven museums for a savings of $75 and hopped on and off trams, subways and ferries for an additional savings of $30.


So with these travel-savvy savings, I bought a jaunty rain hat, grabbed a pizza and off I went. Now, I realize that it may seem odd to bring a pizza to a lunch cruise, but it is certainly no odder than the response I received from the Batservice Sightseeing company when I wrote to them to make my reservation and inform them that I am a vegetarian. So as not be accused of exaggeration, I am going to let their reply speak for itself: Your reference is 0506 they are booked in your names. We only serve shrimp buffet on the boat. Please bring your own food.
Yes, that is correct. I was told to bring my own lunch to a lunch cruise. Nice, huh?


The entirety of the non-vegetarian lunch buffet.

The weather never really improved, but the two-hour spin around the near-by islands allowed for an interesting peek into a side of Oslo I had not yet seen...and the pizza was good...so while I would not necessarily recommend the cruise, it was not the worst way to spend a few hours. As I stepped off of the boat, I saw there was a gathering of people of all ages standing in front of City Hall, carrying posters bearing photos of Iranian dissidents believed dead as a result of the recent election protests. I joined them briefly to show my support for the incredibly brave protestors in Iran, handed them a donation and began making my way back to the hostel.

I had planned my route so as to catch the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace, something that on four separate attempts has eluded me in London. For that reason, I don't know how the guard's choreographed routine plays in London, but speaking for the one in Norway, it was mass confussion led by men in funny hats. All of us assumed, with some justified reason I would argue, that the changing of the guard would take place directly in front of the palace...and that is, indeed, how it began. Why they then marched the whole show over to the far right side of the palace, leaving everyone standing with open umbrellas and puzzled looks, is beyond me. Eventually, everyone sauntered over to where they were, just in time to watch them play an elaborate game of "statue", wherein they stood perfectly still, staring at each, for what felt like a ridiculously long time. I took this as my cue to continue back to the hostel, grab my bags and bid "Ha Det" to the lovely but costly city of Oslo.





Captaining the lunch cruise.


Pulling away from the harbour behind City Hall.


Although the rain sucked at the time, I actually like the atmospheric quality it lent to these photos.


Summer homes of the Norwegian rich and famous.


A stowaway aboard our vessel.



A show of support for those protesting the election "results" in Iran.










The changing of the guard at the Royal Palace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2