A Day (and Night) at the Museum




Frank Gehry's contribution to Barcelona's architectural bounty










There are plenty of cities known for their famous museums, just as there are a few cities which they themselves qualify as living, breathing museums. Of the latter group, there are two which manage to take my breath away everytime I visit. One is Florence, which I have not been to in years. The other one, Barcelona, I got a chance to re-experience just a month ago, as was part of my Dali/ Figueres trip. I already wrote about how much I enjoyed the Dali museum (and loathed its tourist horde), but I failed to mention what a thrill it was to walk through the streets of Barcelona admiring the genius of Gaudi, a 19th century architect whose work is as much a demonstration of artistry as anything found hanging on a museum wall. It is one thing to admire a surrealist painting, but quite another to experience the wonderment of walking through a building built on a flight of fancy. This month, I have once again been in Amsterdam, only this time without an internet connection, so this is going to be another brief post, but I hope to remedy that once I return home Nov. 2nd. In the meantime, enjoy the photos of brilliant Barcelona.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- Part 1