Country #73: Cairo

The Nile: not just a condition characterized by the ability to disregard reality




Morning at the Pyramids of Giza

The Pyramid of Khufu




Pyramid at the Saqqara necropolis


And inevitable vendor at the Saqqara necropolis


Statue of Ramses II at the Memphis Museum




The Mosque of Mohammad Ali at the Citadel




Abolution fountain within the its courtyard



It is also known as the Alabaster Mosque for its interior

The Sultan Hassan Mosque




Outside the Church of Saint Barbara in the Coptic quarter




Note the Pyramids way in the background.
I think I need to come up with some shorthand way of saying that I had some time off, a chance at cheap airfare and not much else, because there is definitely a pattern to be discerned here. This past Monday, after a nano-second of thought, the last-minute destination chosen was Cairo. Without sufficient time to plan an itinerary, Diana and I put our fate in the hands of a tour operator who was to book our hotel, arrange all our tours and basically handle all the details that we did not have time for. Great idea in theory, it was only when we found ourselves arriving on the streets of Cairo at 3:30 in the morning without yet having received a response from this so-named Naglaa that we saw the massive flaw in our plan. We knew nothing of the layout of the city, so we rolled the dice, got into a cab and began the search for a place to spend the remainder of the night. After a visit to a wildly overpriced Hilton and its business center, we found ourselves booked for a couple of nights at the African Hostel. That took care of our most pressing problem. Mohammad, the night manager, now playing the role of the still yet to be found Naglaa, provided the solution to our next problem, a severe lack of direction. He awoke his friend,Tusin, who within an hour was at the hostel with an itinerary in mind. As is to be expected, he started out by taking us to to see the Pyramids of Giza. I guess when you have the only remaining original World Wonder in your backyard, that bit of planning comes easy. It is here that I should interject that I had already come with the knowledge that Cairo was going to be dirty, busy, hot, full of aggressive salesmen, etc. etc. I had talked to plenty of people who had warned me about their own experiences, yet, somehow I felt that I would be able to look past all this in exchange for seeing the wonder that is ancient Egypt. I was able to sustain that illusion for all of an hour...maybe. Tusin started out the morning by taking us to a stable to rent camels for a sunrise ride through the Giza plateau. The man running the stable had all the well-practiced charm of a used car salesman, without any of the corresponding integrity. He threw some inflated prices our way and we, freshly arrived, sleep deprived and excited, accepted. For the next three hours, we rode around on a pair of the saddest, most run-down animals, through a trash strewn dessert, led around by a cocky charlatan who took every opportunity to hit the poor creatures, while mumbling in broken English. It was so heart-breaking and upsetting, that I spent the next two days hoping for a do-over, as I did not want my only impression of the pyramids to be so tainted with sadness and disgust. This was not to be, but it did prepare me for the remainder of our stay. The scenario that repeatedly played itself out, as if on a loop, was the following: Tusin would take us to a site or museum, tell us what it was called, where to buy the entrance ticket and show us where he would be waiting for us. We would buy our tickets and enter, not really sure what we were looking at. If there was a tour group speaking English, Spanish or German in the vicintity, we would try our best to eavesdrop. Usually there wasn't, so the vendors or more commonly, the tourist police (!!) would try to lead us around, explaining the significance of this or that. Even if we declined their help, they would aggressively demand "backsheesh", or tips. We knew it was bad when even the imam at one of the mosque hit us up for money. The result of this was that we learned to avoid the areas where these folks congregated, thus usually missing one or more of the most significant parts of any given site. For the first time, I sincerely envied the package tour folks who were receiving thorough explanation, while being shielded from the constant harassment. Of course, along with all the hassles, there were some moments when we did enjoy the benefits of being solo travellers. We hired an enthusiastic and vastly knowledgeable guide for a private tour of the Egyptian Museum, who enthralled us with the history of the Pharoahs and answered all our questions in just two short hours. Mohammad took us on a locals-only boat trip along the Nile (after instructing us not to talk to anyone because that would automatically triple the price of everything we wanted), where I danced along with a group of giggling Muslim girls. People of all ages would help us cross the chaos that is a Cairo street, laughing all the way and not demanding backsheesh (one man suggested that, while crossing, we close our eyes and talk to Allah). It certainly was not all bad. In the most hostile of enviroments, the pyramids still manage to impress, so I can't, in good conscience, write Cairo off as a bad experience, not to be recommended, yet now having done it, I do not know that I would return. It felt like even the infrastructure that alledgedly was there was our benefit, the tourist police, was trying to take advantage of us. I recognize their salaries are probably quite low, they have families to feed, all of that... yet creating an uncomfortable situation for those you are meant to serve, is only bound to backfire. It is possible that after further reflection, I will look back on Cairo more fondly, at which time I may revisit the topic, but for now, I can honestly say that I am in no hurry to return.

Comments

  1. Sorry about your bad trip; still you managed to get some good shots. It’s a place worth revisiting. Some places you can parachute in, and be pleasantly surprised. Others require careful planning. I guess that is what you are recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Berti, I love the story behind your little trip. I actually felt like I was with u girls hahahaha... Looks like you girls had a great time and an awesome adventure...It makes me want to go to Cairo and and not ride the poor camel, but the cocky charlatan hahahaha... Oh love the pictures by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I am so so soryy that you didnt like Cairo!! it's one of my favourite places ;) but maybe because i have some friends there and they drive us around!!
    i remember the Coptic quarter, really nice area...i havent been so impressed by the Pyramids, i belive i was waiting for something else ;(( and i was disappointed.

    i really didnt understand, you book a tour, payied and they never provide this services for you? if so that's why you hate it, because everything started in a wrong way!!

    regarding Egyptian people its true that they harass you most of the time, but its their way to be ;)i belive it was the same situation in Morocco or Tunis?!

    i hope that you will change your opinion because Cairo its a great place !!! and for sure the next time it will be better!!
    next time i will give you the number of one of my friends and you will see that its not so bad in the end. just let me know if you have any flights in that area!!

    any trips to OPT? miss you ;))

    smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I wrote this blog entry, I worried that it might discourage someone from visiting Cairo. I am glad to see that my somewhat garbled message came through and that you all realize that the problem was more me than it was Cairo. I have no doubt that if the situation would have been different,as anyone else's is bound to be, I would have walked away with a totally different impression. I definitely should have been better prepared. I put all my faith into a guide, who we had not yet paid, and did not have a back-up plan when he disappeared and I needed a plan most. Then there was the instances of animal abuse, which is something I can not tolerate. I just went on the defensive and most likely, did not give the people or the city a proper chance, which is the worst thing I could have done as a traveller. My writings aside, given the chance, I am sure I would return, only with much better preparation, and I have no doubt I would appreciate it more. And, yes, Laura I would love to meet your friends in Cairo. I felt like all our interactions with the Egyptians were based more on "business" than anything else, having a local by our side would have made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- Part 1