Day 6: No More Bok Choy


One of Xian's antique markets


Daoist monk


Inside the Temple of the 8 Immortals




Xian's Drum Tower
Day 6 and our remaining time in Xian was pretty limited. We had only the morning to ourselves, before we had to rejoin the group for a flight to Shanghai. Some of the more ambitious members of our group used the free time to rent bicycles and ride around atop the city walls. We opted for a more relaxing morning at the Temple of the Eight Immortals, a Daoist temple a short distance outside of the walled city. Our cab driver dropped us as close to the temple as he could, but that still required us to walk through a thriving "antiques" market where much haggling ensued. Shawn, for reasons known only to him was trying to ask a saleswoman about the tiny three-legged stool she was using, so for the rest of the gauntlet, vendors, one and all, were popping out of their seats and trying to sell them to us. Passing up the porta-stools, we could have also bought fake money or paper goods (as I first saw last year in Bangkok) to burn in the temple's large braziers in order to pass them along to those who have departed this earth. The temple itself was redolent of incense and featured some of the most colorful murals and icons I've ever come across in a place of worship. Bicycle, Schmicycle...I was glad we had opted for the temple.


But soon, it was time to board our flight on China Eastern Airline to Shanghai. Of all the places we visited, Shanghai is by far the most cosmopolitan, with more dazzling skyscrapers, a more multi-cultural populace and therefore, thank the multi-hued Daoist gods, way more dining options than we had encountered up until then. It is not that I don't like Chinese food....every single day...three meals a day (!!!), it is just that it felt like every single meal I had eaten for the past five days was an unvarying combination of rice, steamed vegetables and bok choy (and occasionally a small plate of corn niblets, which I think they gave me solely for the purpose of mocking the vegetarian trying to pick up niblets with chopsticks). Shortly after checking into our hotel in Shanghai, we followed Michael's recommendation and headed to an upscale shopping and dining complex, known as Xintiandi which featured restaurants from all over the world. It was an embarrassment of riches...we could have Mexican, German, Sushi, so many choices. We opted for Italian at a place called Pizza Marzano and I don't know if it was the absence of bok choy, but I swear that I had the best veggie lasagna I have ever tasted in my life. Only a couple of hours in and Shanghai had already scored major points in my book.



Comments

  1. Good shot of the Daoist monk. How did you get him to pose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berti!! These pictures and descriptions are SO fascinating _ thank you so much for posting them! I can't imagine how cool it was to walk on THE wall of walls and to see the terracotta warriors. And the pandas! Everywhere the pandas! I want to thank you too for your miracle cough medicine _ I had the flu for the whole week after I saw you guys, but no coughing whatsoever after the first day I took that amazing elixir!! You are my savior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the story is going on with the Daoist Monk....I cant't decide if he is nice or scary!!!
    dont forget about the Bucharest TOFU ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he was one of the good monks. Through an abbreviated game of charades with a lot of pointing and waving around of the camera, I was able to ask him if he would mind if I took the photo. The whole time I was trying to take the picture, I could tell that his friends (all fellow monks) were razzing him, but they all seemed to be pleased with the results when I showed them the picture afterwards...which in my books, makes them all good monks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is a beautiful world.........

    beluga blue ........

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2