Day 2. We have how much time?

Outside the walls of the Forbidden City


Entering into the Emperor's private domain







Fun with shadows


The Forbidden City's "lucky" tree

Anyone know where I could buy a panda?

One of the Beijing Zoo's most popular residents looking a little worse for wear.

"There! You got your picture. Can I please go back to sleep now?"

Sensible advice considering there is a napping panda on the other side of this railing.

Guarding the Summer Palace




Upon our arrival in Beijing, Michael, our super-duper stellar guide, presented us with a list of optional tours which we could join, in addition to the handful which were included in our package. Being the independent traveller that I profess to be, I refused to check off even one. "No optional tours for us" I informed Michael. I had my guide book, had printed plenty of pages off of the internet and could tackle all of the activities covered in the tours at my own pace, on my own time, without making any annoying "shopping stops". That conviction held strong until I woke up the second day fighting a nasty cold and a growing awareness that communicating with anyone outside of the comfy confines of our hotel was not going to be easy. Then, I started looking at the suggested amount of time each activity we wanted to do would require. Even with no glitches in our plan (which, let's face it, was not going to happen) we would be hard pressed to squeeze in enough time for both the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace...and this was our only day to see them. Glumly, I pictured us wasting valuable time walking in circles in the cold, saddled with a dry audio tour and me with a burning fever. It began to dawn on me that perhaps this was one of those times when it might be better to leave it up to a professional. A fellow group member sealed the deal for me by pointing out that with the amount of time we were given, this could not help but be a "highlights tour", any extensive exploration would have to wait until the next visit. That struck me like words from an oracle up above (that may have had something to do with the fact that I really was quite feverish at the time, but I still think it was a very pertinent observation. Thanks Dave.) And with that, I signed up for our first optional tour.

We joined Michael, along with 30 of our 32 fellow group members on a visit which began at the Forbidden City. (note: just now, in looking for that Forbidden City link, I think I may have stumbled upon a portion of the audio tour we could have rented. It doesn't seem as bad as I had feared, but still way too wordy to be listening to in 35 degree weather!) The Forbidden City, which was the site of the Imperial Palace from the Ming to the Qing Dynasties (or roughly from 1420-1911) is, to put it in one word, huge. It is also grand and stately and beautiful and exotic, but I can't stress enough how big it is. It is said to have 9,999 rooms (although that is the result of a system based on counting the number of columns in front of a building and not actually rooms in the way we think of them). The city is divided into an outer and inner court; the outer court being used more for ceremonial purposes, while the inner court was where the Imperial family (along with assorted concubines and eunuchs) would live. We were lucky to have to share the Forbidden City with only a handful of tour groups, during holiday periods, the City receives in excess of 100,000 visitors. A day!!! After strolling through the entire complex, we exited through the Imperial Garden, where we posed in front of the "consort pine", a 400 year old tree which symbolizes the harmony of the emperor and empress and is said to be bring good luck to those who pose before it. I'm going to say that it worked, because shortly after leaving the City grounds, we boarded our nice warm tour bus, waiting to whisk us to our next destination. (Technically speaking, I think the tree is supposed to help in matters of love, but hey, whatever works, right?)

Our next stop was the Beijing Zoo, a rather run-down affair, which benefits greatly from its star attraction, the giant pandas. I have read that most of the enclosures here are woefully small and ill-equipped, but the pandas, which are the only animal we visited, do get a half-way decent home (although still pretty shoddy by western standards). It was here that Michael had to work the hardest to maintain the group's attention. As much as he tried to get us to move along, we stayed transfixed by the sight of the pandas. He plaintively tried to convince us there were more pandas ahead, but I, for one, was sceptical. What if I followed him outside of the panda exhibit and there were no more pandas? Cautiously, I wandered outside, and sure enough, there were more pandas to be seen. I had a suspicion that Michael would continue to use the promise of pandas to lure us to follow him, throughout the rest of the tour, but it never materialized. I, on the other hand, was promising Shawn pandas around every bend.

After lunch, we had the obligatory stop at a pearl factory, where I must admit I was charmed by the enthusiasm of the factory guide, up until the point where she cheerfully slaughtered an oyster to reveal how many pearls were hidden within.

Next it was time for a visit to the Summer Palace, a royal garden, which, as the name implies, was used by the emperors as a summer getaway. It is here that I wished we had more time to enjoy the serenity that the park offered. There were bridges, sculptures, painted walkways, pagodas, a lake, and more scenic spots than you can shake a lens at. Had we not been on a group tour, I am sure we would have dedicated ourselves to exploring the park more fully, although, truthfully, that is something that is probably better left for summertime. We would have, however, missed an unplanned stop. At the behest of some of the shoppers in our group, Michael took us to the Silk Street Market and, oh yowsa, am I glad he did. This market is known for selling knock-off designer goods, so I expected something akin to NY's Canal Street but this was altogether something different. It was five stories of jam packed booths with every designer name you can imagine. There was one floor devoted just to clothes (including, as Michael called it, plenty of "North Fake" jackets on display). Another had designer glasses, and even several opticians on hand to provide prescriptions and grind down lenses. Yet another floor had jewelry, with the ubiquitous baby blue boxes as far as the eye could see. There were fake electronics, massive dvd catalogues, everything except for, strangely enough, handbags. Any purchases required patience and hardened haggling skills, but for me, it was like watching a sport. ESPN, only an interesting version. Of course, the official line is that fake goods are illegal, frowned upon, yadda, yadda, but the running joke is that the Americans who come over to hold conferences on the evils of counterfeits all manage to find time to do some shopping at the Silk Street Market, which is conveniently near the US Embassy.

By the time we headed back to the hotel, I was sporting my new designer shades, browsing through my photos of both the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace, happy that I had not had to choose between the two and reading Michael's list of optional tours a bit more closely.

Comments

  1. helloo woman!...here you finnaly post the overlong expected blog of China!!! i just love your photo with desiner shades and yellow-greean hat!!! you are in fashion!!!
    and from your story the tour guide wasnt so bad ideea in the end!
    and the panda bear is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2