Getting lucky in the desert



I strongly ascribe to the theory that it’s better to be lucky than to be good. I feel I’m a better than average travel planner. No sooner is the possibility of visiting a destination suggested, than I’m going down the deepest of rabbit holes finding out what there is to do, how to get there, how to maximize my time, etc and etc. 

I knew I was going to have three days off in Phoenix, AZ, a place I've been many times. Over the years,  I’ve gone inner tubing down the Salt River- and seen wild horses while doing so; I’ve driven the Apache Trail over the Superstition Mountains -past the lesser known city of Miami and seen the most glorious sunset; I’ve visited nearby Sedona- a place I recommend to anyone that even says the word “Arizona” in my vicinity; I’ve even gone to a pool party at Stevie Nick’s house where her mother shared her recipe for a killer seven layer dip- the last one is pure name dropping but also 100% true. 

So what's left? One thing I hadn't done was visit the Desert Botanical Garden. It has great reviews and the pics look amazing but I just don’t think I possess $35 worth of interest in cacti. But what about if research and luck managed to collide?  While looking for possible online discounts, I came across a “pay what you wish” option. Say less. In order to make the garden more accessible, on the second Tuesday of each month, they give visitors the option to pay what they like. A quick glance at the calendar confirmed that I was in fact there on the second Tuesday of the month. Score!

My friend and I took the very efficient public transit and were dropped off right at the entrance, where we were greeted by a pair of Chihuli cacti. This was our first indication that there was more to this place than just some pretty plants- although there are certainly plenty of those as well. 


To start with, the park is huge. We were handed a map at the entrance but even with that in hand, we spent most of the day perpetually lost. There were different desert landscapes to explore.











There was art, including digital projections, interspersed with the flora and fauna. 



There was a surprisingly busy butterfly garden.




There were random wildlife sightings.



Did I scream an excited "I love you, snake!!" as he slithered by. Yes. Yes, I did. 

Had we stayed later into the evening, there were even light installations to enjoy but we had already been there for four hours, which was a lot of entertainment for the $5 we had chosen to pay. 



But luck wasn't done with me yet. I had managed to score $25 front row seats to Drunk Shakespeare that night and there was a wholly different kind of snake in my immediate future. So much better than being good...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muzungu!!

St Martin: Naked Beach or Airplane Beach

Hoi An Taylor